Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Practicum and Korean Pop Music

Monday

- Health Center Visit

I went to a four-room health center with the 5 other Health Trainees. We switched off between the different rooms: Vaccination; Pre/Post Natal Care; Consultation; Pharmacy. In the Pre/Post Natal Care room, there would be about 5 or 6 expectant mothers in the room waiting to be debriefed on their weight, heart-beat and position of the baby, and when they should come in to be tested for HIV or the results of such a test should they have already had the blood test administered. Blood Test in Khmer: Bpee Tee Cheeum; Blood Results in Khmer: Lah't'paul Cheeum. Mind you, all of this was going on in the same room with all pregnant women present. This was basically a taste, an idea, a representaion of what life will be like in the next 2 years.

Tuesday

- Household Survey

I and Alan surveyed 10 houses on water sanitation and water storage. Out of the 10, 4 made less than 5,000 riel/day ($1.25) and 6 made slightly more than that. It also was not very consistent on a day to day basis. 8 out of the 10 had no bathroom and 4 had no bathroom or toilet, which means they went in the backyard. You did a hole, you do your business, you cover it up, hopefully. Out of these 10, there were instances of Dengue, several cases of fever, temporary blindness, and pains from recovering stomach surgery. All of these people mind you, were very welcoming to our coming and our questions. It's amazing how much information that we would consider "personal," the Khmer people were willing to give at the drop of the dime. It may be a difficult and scarey, at times, way of life, but, nonethess, it IS their way of life, and they seem to be content in it.

Wednesday

- Nutrition and Pre/Post Natal Care

nothing special, just a lot of information on the above and interesting traditional rural Cambodian beliefs like:

- The beginning part of a woman's breastmilk; the yellowish stuff. Some women believe it to be "bad" milk and will squeeze it out for 2 or 3 days without the baby getting the most important part or being breastfed in general for that period of time.

- When a woman goes from pregnant to not, she goes from "hot" to "cold," so her body must be warmed, on bamboo bed, over a roasting fire, for 3 days.

Thursday

- Teaching Health (in English) to High School Students

Absolutely the highlight of my week. Getting to talk about diarrhea and laugh about it with 15/16 year-old kids. Definitely brought me back to middle school days. It was great though. I taught them about how to make oral rehydration salts and how and how often one should wash their hands. They were receptive and responsive to everything, and I know for sure is that I will absolutely find the one highs chool nearby and attempt to start a Health Class and Health Club.

Friday

-Household Survey Debrief

s.e.

Saturday

- PARTYYY!!!!

The high school kids through the trainees a party with Big Cola, curry, and bread. We danced to some really "hip" Korean pop-music and some traditional Khmer songs as well. It was a lot of fun, and for many of us who never thought we had the moves...oh, we were the center of attention, now.


So, that was this week. We had our site placement interviews, and when they asked why I wrote down that I wanted to be near a border town, I told them it was because I wanted an easy escape. But really, I'm interested in the cross-culture swapping and duel-language ccommunities. I'm from Tucson, of course I know what it's like... Anyhow, they start asking me odd questions about if I understand the stigma of border towns in Cambodia and if I would be comfortable being there knowing some of these bad things were going on. It seems many of the other trainees also had very specific questions asked of them. So, maybe I know where I'm going. maybe I don't. I find out on Saturday and leave on Sunday to visit for 3-4 days. I'm really, really ecstatic about that. I'll meet my host family and have the opportunity to get an idea of the layout of the village, that way I'm not surprised when they drop me off a month from now. A month from now! I've already been in Cambodia for a month, and that's an idea that's hard to grasp, yet, going to bed and waking up early the next morning literally half way across the world seems so natural, now.

For all the POA kids, my brother tells me that the show is great, so I'm excited to check it out on facebook before I head back to the village life again. I hope everything is well.

Send me mail!!!!!


p.s. if you are thinking of sending me a care package, be sure to add US Embassy somewhere in the address, as one of us has already had an issue and almost got taxed $100. Cool well

The word of the day is: "Ch'long Tonlay" - my phoenetics

it means "delivery" Like delivering a baby.

The literal translation: "To Cross the River"

See ya later, and get some good rest,

Garrett

1 comment:

  1. Duel-language! English vs. Khmer! Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! Who will win? Khmer may have the vowel size advantage but English will challenge with its homophones! Tune in to find out! (Only $99.99 on pay-per-view)

    ReplyDelete