Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

As I take a quick break from my conversation with Sam, I turn to the right and hold avast and see a land engulfed in greens, blues, and deep tans. The land is covered in lucious grasses, paddies, and large bodies of water. The plane landed, and as I stepped off to grab my luggage (which the airport attend in Hong Kong so nicely told me that it may or may not have been put on the plane). All of us were greeted with open arms and wide smiles, excited to see the 4th group ever to arrive in Cambodia for the Peace Corps. So, they're taking my luggage, and I won't see it again until Sunday, so of course I want to find my Chaco's. I find them, I put them in the bag, the bag rips open as I zip it shut (thank Buddha [I'll have to do that a lot while I'm here :)] for duct tape. We get on two busses and ride to the Peace Corps headquarters. We're greeted again by many PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers) and the many staff at hq, including Jon Darrah, the Country Director. We were served rice, vegetables, dragon fruit, apple-pears, curry soup with chicken feet and congeled blood, all of which was very delicious. They actually had spaghetti and meat sauce on the table. Maybe this was for transitioning into the food culture should there be someone who wasn't ready for it? Needless to say, I didn't go for the spaghetti.

I had an opportunity to talk to the health extension training coordinator, who was Cambodian, and told him that we would be very good friends. I learned that I will be frequently riding my bike 10-15km to nearby villiages...whoo! I am going to be so in shape; I can't be sad about that.
So, after chatting and eating, we were brought into a room for a brief introduction to Peace Corps Cambodia and all of its staff and helping K2 and K3 PCVs. So, now I know I will be getting 4 shots:

- Meningitis
- Hep A
- Japanese Encephalitis
- Pre-Exposure Rabies
- Typhoid

I know, that's 5. I honestly don't remember which I haven't started yet...

So, we get into groups. I'm with one of the K3 PCVs. She was extremely helpful in answering many question.

We explored the markets of Phnom Penh, where we drank coconut juice straight from the coconut. I also bought a new "North Face" bag for $8 to hold my stuff which my ripped bag currently cannot anymore. We went to a watt (which is a Buddhist temple), saw a lot of monkeys and weaved our way through traffic. To give you an idea; there are absolutely no pedestrian rights, and it's actually safer to slowly walk through traffic than to dart across. We end up at the FCC (Foreign Correspondents' Club) . I had about 5 beers and shared calamari for $3. How awesome is that? After that we went to dinner and had traditional Khmer food:

- curried soup
- ginger beef
- small SPICY peppers
- white melon soda (which tastes like caramel)
- other stuff

Okay my time is running up, breakfast is being served, and my computer is running out of juice.

Last statement:

- I woke up and opened the curtains, and I'm definitely still in Cambodia.

(unfortunately this internet conneciton is too slow, so I'll post the next time when I can.)

Talk to you later,
Garrett

1 comment:

  1. 4th group EVER? Wow! Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself so far! I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog! (Got all caught up tonight when I found it!) Can't wait to hear more!

    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete