Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Potential Beginning

So, as I've waited around doing, what I believe to be, much of nothing in this village (of which I wouldn't be lying to say I've been content with it), I asked my health center director if he would be interested in starting a guppy farm/series of information sessions about them. His answer, "Yes. That is very good. I will buy the water jar. You will have it in a month." Note: It would not have sounded that elequent in English. As well, he now wants me to get started on a more immediate project in the mean time (the guppy project won't be able to be put into full effect until February or March, at least, on account of breeding the fish). So, I think I'm going to have an information/cooking session on exclusive breast-feeding and nutrition for new mothers/weening poridge. Essentially I will need three things: A Khmer counterpart who plans on sticking around this village for awhile; to get the word out to expectant/new mothers; to have those expectant/new mothers bring a vegetable/some rice/pots/stove/water. Nothing is as effective as teaching someone to do it themselves with their own local materials. I plan on executing this great (sounding) project for early December just before I come home. I won't lie; I would very much enjoy coming home with some stories of productivity.

A few more things:

- U of A lost to USC, but I don't blame Nick Foles. You did well, Sunshine

- I am distracted on my sadness and disappointment of the outcome by Oregon State's loss to Washington State. This is Washington State's first Pac-10 win in a 10-15 game losing streak? Yeah... embarassing. I laughed plenty. (you can correct me if I'm wrong)

- The Three Musketeers is a really fun/fast read. I recommend it already, and I've still 158 pages left.

- Thanksgiving is soon. This will be my first Thanksgiving not in the country that celebrates it. Kinda strange to think about, but I don't feel too detered by it as I will be spending it with many people who have celebrated it just as I have the past 23 times.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

p.s. Cellcard (one of the cellphone services) has hundreds, maybe even thousands, of banners all around Cambodia that say $2 + $4 = Cellcard. Hmmmm, I persistently hope for a banner that will say "...= $6." However, I think I'm just giving myself false hopes.

-

3 comments:

  1. That's my boy!! The math wizard!
    Love, Mom and Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me think of 1984 for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cellcard banners or guppies? Haha. Nah it's just a lack of good English haha, just like my excessive love for commas.

    ReplyDelete