Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Thai-Cambodian Border Conflict.

A bit of background information:

When the French left Cambodia in the 1950's, not only did they leave baguettes, but also poorly demarcated lines around a few temples in the NW of Cambodia. In the early 1960's, the Preah Vihear temple was dubbed an International Heritage Site in "Cambodia." The Thais were very upset about this, and since then, there have been intermittent conflicts along that "border".

Some shelling and shooting at the border of Preah Vihear began again in February because of a "misfired" shot that both countries are blaming on the other. There were quite a few skirmishes, plenty of damage to the temple, and several deaths and many wounded soldiers and civilians. Since then, it has been fairly quiet until a week or so ago when the conflict moved to the Odar Meanchey (the province to the west of Siem Reap and north of Banteay Meanchey (the one I live in)). There are two temples there that are also in dispute between the two countries. In fact, each country has their own name for the temples. There has been a lot of firing along the border and a bit of heavy artillery fire as well. Several soldiers have died and many people on both sides of the border have sought refuge. Many, in fact have fled to wat (temple/pagoda) at Banteay Chhmar, where another PCV, and friend of mine, lives; approximately 200 people have fled to that wat. Don't worry, if you are, as he says that he actually feels quite safe (his town is well away from the conflict by the way, and I live 80km from his site and about 2 1/2 hours away as the road to the provincial town from his village is very rough.). I'll tell you why I feel safe:

Why are they fighting right now?

The Thai elections are coming up very soon, and because of the timing, there's a need to stir up some drama as a distraction to the current political parties. I think this is unfortunate (I just realized I made a post a while back about being apolitical...I guess I've forgotten about that. I'm being vague, though, right?) because of the unnecessary and misdirected fear it has instilled in the citizens of both countries. Many Cambodian's have told other volunteers that they believe Thailand will take over Cambodia. That will never happen. If Thailand wanted to take over Cambodia, it would have happened a very long time ago. I'm not just blaming the Thais; there are plenty of problems on both ends, believe me. Point being, when the elections end, I believe the current fighting will settle down.

Anyhow, I was in a truck on the way from Mongkol Borei (a district in Banteay Meanchey) when I saw two giant flatbeds carrying a tank each. They were headed to Preah Vihear. So much for a cease-fire (a second cease-fire, in fact). I am one of three people (I believe) who were contacted on a daily basis for about a week by the Peace Corps Safety and Security Officer to make sure we felt safe and if we had heard anything from our towns: i.e. if they were worrying, if the borders were closing, etc... There really is no reason to worry, though. I feel safe, and no one in my town has really even mentioned any personal worries. Worse comes to worse, I get a free night or two in Siem Reap, which wouldn't be so bad. However, it'll never come to that.

I'll keep you informed if anything new should arise. Until then, I'll continue to eat my Nature Valley bars with my jar of peanut butter while I go on with my life (as well as the rest of the people around me...minus the granola bars and peanut butter).

Hope all is well.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

1 comment:

  1. It's the little things like peanut butter that can make any place feel like home :)

    ReplyDelete