So, here they are:
When will I move to Phnom Penh: Most likely, June 25th
- How many days left physically at site: 27....27!!!! It's really strange. While I am very much anticipating my beginning the next stage of my Peace Corps service, including but not limited to: cooking for myself, having cheese, milk, and pizza readily available, and a toilet the flushes...I am also very sad to leave my village which has treated me so kindly and left me with a feeling of comfort, safety, and happiness (not to mention many friends, countless memories [most of which involved laughter (at my expense [the best kind])]). As well, it has left me with the ability to add brackets within parenthesis and vis versa.
When will I start working for PSI: Definitely, July 2nd
What I will be doing:
- Assist Communications and Marketing department in monitoring, supervision and coaching activities of Interpersonal communications (UHN (United Health Network) and CM (Community Monitor) programs*) and MVU (Mobile Video Unit) activities:
- Regularly join staff in monitoring and supervision activities. Assist PSI staff with monitoring and supervision functions to improve their supervision and coaching skills. Help to structure UHN and CM field visits to ensure more IPC (Interpersonal Communication) direct activities are observed and to give better feedback to UHN member organizations.
- Help to design and co-facilitate trainings to CM or to UHN members to strengthen programs
- Serve as a key point person to document compliance of IPC activities
- Help develop system where UHN member organizations have clear quarterly areas for improvement and are supported by PSI to act on those areas.
- Strengthen phone support and direct IPC field coaching in CM program
- Attend MVU activities and help to revise show formats and effectiveness of shows as needed
Specific to Child Survival -
- Help to design integrated prevention and treatment messages on diarrhea and Safe Water tabs (including benefits of each product) that are simple and easy to demonstrate to the community
- Co-facilitate trainings on integrated prevention and treatment messages on diarrhea and Safe Water tablets to Roving team, MVU team and CMs
- Attend MVU activities and help to include integrated messaging during the event
- Help to revise formats and effectiveness of MVU shows
- Assist PSI staff (coordinators) with improving their supervision skills
- Map areas of PSI's work and overlap with PC
- Train PCVs to understand PSI's approach and link the individual PCVs behavior change communication activities with PSI's work.
- Assist PSI to deliver IEC (Information, Education, and Communication) materials to PC volunteers and monitor use.
3. Assist with photography projects as needed including expansion of photograph bank for general use and development of photographs for IEC materials when needed.
* United Health Network (UHN) is a network of local NGOs sub-granted by PSI to implement IPC activities. CMs are volunteers directly supported by PSI to promote birth spacing and refer to the Sun Quality franchise.
Where will I be living?
- Phnom Penh still, however, I am not sure whether it will be in a one- or two-bedroom apartment or a house with multiple people. I'll be finding out all of that in the next few weeks, so I'll be sure to update you when I know. One thing, though: Phnom Penh will have a lot of temptations that I will have to resist in order to not break the bank (i.e. Western restaurants, ice cream, movies, etc.). Honestly, I think I'll be alright, but it's nice to know that soon, should I need to sneak out for a needed break, it's there. One downside, though: I live in a semi-rural village now, right? Well, there's not much to do here, so when I do get to escape to other places (i.e. Siem Reap, Battambang, Phnom Penh), it really is an escape, and then I can ground myself when I get back home to my little abode. However, in Phnom Penh, while there will be escapes like Sihanoukville and Kampot, there won't be the (occasional) quiet that I enjoy out here in the middle of nowhere.
When will I be coming home for my 30-day R&R?
- Still waiting on that one, but I'm shooting for autumn.
When will I be coming home for good?
- My new COS (Close of Service) date is now Sep 3rd, 2013
Yup, so that's about what I know at the moment, and I'm pretty excited for all of it.
Talk to you soon,