Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

How Long Must I Wait in this Taxi? or Eh, This is a Great Opportunity to Check Up on the News or I Sometimes Fear for My Life.

So, I realize that there are three phases to waiting in a taxi to head back to my village on any given Sunday:

1) When I ask for a taxi and see the 'cab' is not already filled to the 'intended capacity', whatever that means, I assume I'll be waiting for awhile before they successfully coerce the 'two more' people they promised before actually leaving for my village. I sit and I wait as I check the internet, as it's Sunday, while we circle the same 50 meter radius hoping for success. It is usually unsuccessful and lingers on for up to two hours (I could've run home already, but let's face it: that'll never happen). This leads to realization no. 2;

2) 'Hey! At least I've got the internet to check up on the news.' And I've figured out by this point that trying to load cnn.com and bbc.com on IE or Firefox will just take up too much CPU energy and slow everything else up. So, why not enjoy the fact that I'll diligently check what's going on it the world, right? And at the same time, I can check on some college hoops and Facebook. That's when I realize no. 3;

3) 'HOLY $&!!! I think I may just die today.' Cambodian taxi drivers are by far the most reckless, intense, bold and worst drivers the world has probably ever seen. As we circle the statue for a seventh time, we defy all logic and reason to making a u-turn. There is a lot of traffic. Should we turn? Why, yes. Of course. Oh look! There goes another moto. I bet one of them wants to go to Poipet, the Cambodian-Thai border town. Let's chase them down in this car and yell from the window on the wrong side of the road. And then, let's hop out of the car and run after them. Oh, hmmm, that didn't work. I guess I better drive in reverse on the right side me the road for half a kilometer to back up. Is this normal? Absolutely. Does it phase me anymore? Nah. Do I still have some concern over my life? You bet.

Well that's it for now. Go Cats! And hope for the best. I've been in this taxi for 1hr 22min so far. My house is a 22min drive away. I should have biked.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment