Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Moto Dops in Village

What are moto dops?

Why are moto dops?

How are moto dops?

These are the existential questions we must raise to our conscious in order to accurately pin point the purpose of our being here, or rather, the purpose of their being here.

My guess: they were put here to banter you most when you least want it, and more importantly, when you least need it.

So, again, the important question: what is a moto dop?

Answer: A moto dop is simply a person on a moto (motorcycle) whose job it is to taxi people around for a nominal fee.

Where are moto dops located in places to offer you a service of giving you a ride for an unnecessary distance. Could they be useful at times: sure. Absolutely. Are they annoying: absolutely.

i.e. "HEY!! HEY!!! BARANG!!! HEY!!! HELLO!!! YESS!!! MOTO!!! MOTO!!! GO WHERE?!!?! MOTO!!! NEED MOTO!!!! (claps obnoxiously to get your attention) HEEEEYYY HEY!!! MOTO!!!! WHERE DO YOU GO!!!! HEYYYY HEY!!!"

at times, if you encounter such a moto dop driver at the right time of evening:

"Hey! Hey! Barang! Where do you go?! (insert grunt here) Youuuu need cocaaiinne? Marawaahna? No. No. You need heroine? I have. You need?"

The latter of the two is more prevalent in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap.


Why did I find this necessary to post?

Well, today I got dropped back off at my site after taking a quick trip into the provincial town, and immediately after stepping out of the taxi, I hear: "Hey!!! Hey!! Moto?!! (makes revving gesture)

My response: (in Khmer) "Excuse me, but how can you not realize that I understand your language? You see me walk into this market almost every other day, and I speak with the people who sell noodle soup and rice with pork every morning. You also know that I live about a five minute walk from here next to the bank."

One of the moto dop driver's response: (in Khmer) "Baht. Baht baht baht baht. (translation: Yes. yes yes yes yes.) But, do you need a moto?"

Well, you can't win 'em all.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment