Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Interesting Thing #2: "Where do you go?"

"Dhou na?"

This is probably one of the most common phrases that I have noticed throughout the Khmer language. What does it translate to literally? "Where are you going" or rather "Go where?" However, many times "dhou na" means something entirely different. Here are some common situations in which this phrase is used but does not mean its literal translation:

1) At my health center, when a patient walks in, the staff will ask them, "dhou na?" Where are they going? To the health center, of course. And, they're already there? What a ridiculous question! It means, "Hello, what can I help you with?"

2) While working out, i.e. running/jogging/power walking (this is usually the descending progression of my work out; the latter usually wins out), I will be asked, "dhou na?" Now, literally they really do mean to ask where I am going as I am running somewhere, however I don't have a specific destination. I'm just exercising. What they really mean to say is, "Hey, I'm acknowledging you existance. What are you up to?" Side note: this is answer can be given by continuing what I'm already doing. I usually respond to "dhou na?" in this situation "soksaabye! soksaabye, dye?" translation: "I'm happy/great! Are you?" You can see how this all fits together.

3) When leaving my room to continue doing laundry, I will be asked, "dhou na?" Clearly, I'm walking towards the plastic water basins filled with clothes. What does this actually translate to: "What's up?" Normally, you would say, "twe(r) ei?" which means: "what are you doing?" but not in this specific situation.

These might be completely isolated situations out in my village in the northwest corner of Cambodia, but I feel some of my friends here would agree with me that "dhou na" rarely ever means its actual meaning.

Hope you enjoyed Interesting Thing #2

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

1 comment:

  1. Oh, linguistics, how I love it!! Definitely like hearing all about the language quirks and craziness! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete