Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Interesting/Ridiculous Thing #1: How Many People Can You Fit on a Moto? or How Many Things Can You Carry With You on a Moto?

So, I've noticed lately that I haven't posted as often as I used to. Well, I've figured out the reasoning behind that, or rather the reasoning I suspect is behind it.

When I first came to Cambodia, I was astounded at everything that I was seeing. It was all novel to me, then. I had only really been out of the country before to go to places like Rome, Nice, Barcelona, Dubrovnik, but only for a day or two (and most of them were a stop on a cruise line). I had seen some of the world, but I hadn't really the opportunity to experience it first hand. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate those opportunities that I did have. They were expensive and well worth it, but you notice things that you wouldn't normally have noticed when you live in a place longer. However, the longer you live in that place, the less novel things become, and they aren't at the forefront of your mind. So, I figured I would dig deep into the back of my memory the past 6 months and describe some images that are no longer new to me, but will probably be interesting and, more often than not, comical to you!

How many people can you fit on a moto?

The Answer: As far as I have seen with my human eye: 5.

In Cambodia, we disregard children when counting numbers in ridulous situations. For example, if I say I was on a truck with 23 people in the bed, that might actually mean 30 people. So, this number means I have seen five grown human beings on the back of a motorcycle. Were there children somewhere on the back, in the front, or somewhere inbetween? Inconsequential and of no importance to this vital statistic.

How many things can you bring with you on a moto?

The Answer: There is no limit.

I have often seen a man on a moto with 6 foot long cage, horizontally placed on the bak with six to ten (somehow) pigs tetrised (yes, that is a word) inside. Now, if that's not enough already to make you think, "holy crap!" let's add on about 20 feet of bamboo polls and 10 pounds of dark leafy greens, and that will give you a good account of the streets of Cambodia. Other things that are not uncommon: 4 people on the back of a moto carrying 50 chickens (the disturbing part is that they are VERY much alive) and one of those people is still hooked up to an IV drip. For some reason, IV drips are the solution to all problems medical in this country. You have a cold? Ah, you need an IV. You have head trauma? Ah, you need an IV (is it the right kind? who knows! hopefully.). One more thing: only minutes after giving birth, it is not uncommon for that new mother to hop on to the back of a moto with her new born baby of 5 minutes and ride 10 km back to her village and then proceed to lay on a bamboo bed over hot coals (that's a whole different story though...I'll get to it).

Hope you enjoyed Interesting Things About Cambodia #1

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment