Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tachycardia and Cats

If you haven't already figured this one out:

1) You don't know me well enough
2) You didn't go (or currently go) to the University of Arizona
3) You don't follow NCAA Men's Hoops

Tachycardia = Abnormally rapid heartbeats
Cats = University of Arizona Men's Basketball Team

Arizona 107 California 105 3OT

Now, typically, Cal has a pretty decent basketball team a good portion of the time. However, this year (sorry Cal fans) you're not so great. With 13-10, Overall; 6-5, Pac-10, things aren't looking so great. However, Cal is always a tough game on the road for the Cats. When I came in on the half-time score (again, misjudging the time difference), I was certain this game was in the bag. We were up by 8. This was a good sign. However, very quickly into the second half, Cal came back and with a vengeance. Arizona was down by as much as six points to the Golden Bears. Harper Kamp led the way for Bears ending with 32 points for the game. However, it wasn't enough for the MoMo Jones and the Cats who lost 4 out of 5 starters to fouling out, and yet, we still won. I'd say that means something.

Now, you might wonder where tachycardia comes into play. This is a simple answer. The way I'm able to follow sports in Cambodia is by automatic reloading on ESPN.com. The quickest reload time is 30 seconds, which gives me plenty of time to freak out about what's going to happen next. Now, given the Cats were down by four points pretty close to the very end, waiting 30 seconds for the page to reload with 0:09 left in the game is terribly agonizing. My heartbeat was highly and consistently irregular (is that an oxymoron?) for about a good two hours. Not only was the waiting dreadful, but there were four reloads on the "Box Score" page with 0:04 left in 3OT. I'm in Cambodia! I can't stream this game! I'd like, as an alumnus, to thank the whole of the University of Arizona Men's Basketball team for letting me live. I really do value my life, so thanks.

Arizona Wildcats (20-4, 9-2 Pac-10)

Go Cats!,
Garrett

1 comment: