Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chinese New Year

So, I'm at my health center right now, it's 8:20, and there have been 0 patients and 2 of 17 staff have showed up. I was trying to figure what could possibly be the delay of sickness, but then, I remembered: it's Chinese New Year. Now, you're probably thinking, 'But Garrett. I thought you went to Cambodia.' And you'd be wrong. I'm actually now in Peace Corps/China! Ok just kidding. You're right. I am in Cambodia, which has a fairly high percentage of Chinese ethnicity throughout the country. So, it's almost a National Holiday. Schools take off for a whole week, people don't go to work, yet here I am with no days off writing to you. I'll be glad to catch up on some news while I'm here. But seriously! It's way too quiet for my own liking...maybe there are zombies, and this is a scary movie set in rural Cambodia, but I'm the only one not in on it. Anyhow, tangent, there are plenty of Jews in America. Why don't we learn from these intelligent people over here and start getting 8 official days off me school and work for Hanukkah? For that matter, all Jewish holidays. If some of you are not aware, there are more Jewish holidays than there are nationally recognized Cambodian holidays, and that is saying a lot. Okay, back to the point. The reason why there is nobody here is not because people magically didn't get sick this week, but because everyone in a 25 km radius from here is attending a celebration at school about 15km east of here. So, that means, some poor health center with only 5 staff members are probably dealing with 150 people today. You'd probably ask, 'Well Garrett, why don't you be a good volunteer and help out?'
Reason 1: By the time I got there, on my bike, it'd be about 9:15, and there would be about 45 min left to help.
Reason 2: Helping right now would involve writing things down I don't know how to spell and handing out medications. You tell me if you think that's a good idea!

Anyhow, it's 8:34, and there are still 0 patients. My health center director told me to go home. I brought my annual leave form with me to sign, which means I intend on going on vacation. But where, Garrett? Where are you going? You guess on posts, and I'll update you in two weeks!

Hope all is well and
Talk to you soon,
Garrett

2 comments:

  1. Language barriers + prescriptions = BAD idea :D
    Hope you're enjoying your slow day!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was upset that Christian holidays got breaks but Jewish holidays didn't when I was a kid. I didn't get the perfect attendance award because of Yom Kippur! :P

    ReplyDelete