This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

What Site is Like the First Week.

Here it goes - So, I arrive around 5:00p a week ago, today, and am shown to my room, which interestingly enough is bigger and nicer than my room during training. I have a bed, a desk AND a chair. Pretty shnazzy. It fits all my stuff nicely, and I sleep well. So, here's my typical day thus far: I wake up around 5:00a, promptly to fall back asleep hitting the snooze button on my phone at least three or four more times before actually getting out me bed around 5:40a. I put on some shorts, stretch, and go for a 2 mi. run, which I don't get stared at as much for anymore, now that I've established it as a routine and it's not so weird to see the foreigner run and not seem to be running AWAY from anything. Needless to say, people don't run for exercise here. Anyhow, when I get back, I take a bucket shower, get dressed in slacks and a polo or dress shirt and head to my breakfast lady (yup, i've established that, now), then, to the health center, about 2k away, where I observe (what I'll be doing for the first 3 months) from 7:30a - 11:30a. It's usually pretty slow, so on down time the staff will teach me new words or how to write Khmer...I can write 'village address,' now. After work, I'll ride home, take another bucket shower, change, then head off to have the most delicious tomatoes I've had on this Earth (I think I can rightfully say that, now.). I know, Garrett likes tomatoes?! You need to taste these... Anyhow, after lunch, I'll head to the market, maybe buy a thing or two I still need (i.e. plastic basins for washing my clothes and a stool), and introduce myself to the merchants/villagers. Around 2p, I've exhausted my ability to speak Khmer understandably, and will head home. There, I'll read for about four hours, watch a movie or go on the internet (twice a week). However the latter won't be happening until I find a replacement for my charger. Seriously, after getting my internet set-up on my laptop finally, and testing out that I can Skype WELL in rural Cambodia, my laptop charger blows a fuse. What are the odds. Hopefully, I'll have found a solution in a week's time. Anyhow, around 6:30p my family?/cook?/not really sure how she's related will make dinner for me. I'll chat for about half an hour, then it's back to reading or a movie...again, when that's an option. Around 9:00p I duck out 'til the following day begins. Well, that's about an average day so far. It's amazing how much free-time I have here. Another PCV friend who's been here a year told me not to worry about it so much, and that there first three months are really just to observe and learn how to survive on your own. So, here I am, surviving. On a side note me attrition, my buddy, James left at the beginning of the week for his own reasons. I'll miss him for sure, but look forward to seeing him in December when I'm back for a good 10 days. A few others left. We started, technically, with 55 and now, we're down to 48. Amazing how that's happened. Hope things are well. Talk to you soon, Garrett.


  1. Hmm, you should bring some of these tomato seeds back with you. I will do my best to grow you some of these Jesus tomatoes, haha.
    Glad to see that you are developing a routine to things, it will help you deal with things.
    Do you want any books sent to you? I have some interesting ones you might like.
    Have fun!

  2. Um yes and yes. Use my Banteay Meanchey address that's in my blog though. It might take me awhile to get to them though. I still have Anna Karenina to finish after Gai-Jin and War and Peace to begin. So...in 2500 pages, yes lol.