Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Kids will be Kids

So, I was just relaxing in my room half working/half watching The Sopranos. I has my windows mostly open and the fan blasting, because otherwise it feels like a sauna in here. After about a minute and a half of giggling, I notice in my peripherals a seven year-old boy with his five year-old sister just staring. Their eyes are just barely on the horizon of the window sill, and the older one pops up and says, "Susadye!", then immediately pops back down giggling furiously. I ignore it at first, but then they both do it not quite simultaneously. So, I responded, "Susadye. Soksabye awt?" (How are you?) They just giggled and said again, "Susadye!" (Persist giggling). "Can I help you?" (in Khmer). They just stay there, half crouched, staring. No response. Then, "Susadye!" Ughh...okay, I'll play along. So, I make some funny face. The kid pops down under the sill, so I sneak up to the window, and when I see him confused why there's no one in there in th..."AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" They both run. So, I go back to my bed to continue being semi-quasi-kinda productive. Wait for it. Wait for it. Wait fo..."Susadye!" Okay, alright. Seriously. I close the one window, but leave the other open so as not to melt. I hear shuffling. Damn, they're running to the other window. By the time I get back to my bed... "Susadye."

Is it partly because I'm the foreigner living in their...their home? (I'm not really sure where they live. They've been here for about six days. Cambodian people have a tendency to "come out of the woodwork") Anyhow, the answer is yes. But, is that any different than some curious (and slightly obnoxious, but kinda cute) American kid with a stranger living in their homes? Well, yeah, a little, because America is a melting pot, and if you're not Chinese or Cambodian, you look strange. But, it's pretty much the same.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment