Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Playing Basketball Against Khmer and Philippino Guys

So, you think being 6' 0" would give you an advantage, if not total dominance, over Asian men averaging 5' 7"/5' 8". Well, I was certainly wrong about that. Now, given, I haven't played basketball in a very, very long time, however, I'd like to think of myself as fairly apt at sports in the most mediocre sense. These guys were quick. Some of them seemed to exhaust themselves as quickly as I did, but some of them I had to give at least three feet while guarding or else, wait...oh no! Where'd he go?! Damn...easy bucket. I'd like to pride myself on my (one) tip shot made, but I think my use was primarily in rebounding. Needless to say, I need a little practice on my b-ball skills. I don't often get to interact competitively in this country, as volleyball is much more prevalent in my town than is soccer, so playing a fast-paced game (volleyball, not so much, though I do play that at site) here was such a pleasant experience. I'm hoping I will get to do this more often while I'm here. I'm realistic and understand this won't come often considering there is no basketball where I live, but I'm looking forward to the times that I do get to play the game. Speaking of basketball. I obviously can't view any games at my site considering the speed of the internet here, however, I just realized that all the games were actually on the radio! Where have I been?! Needless to say, I'll be listening and "watching" to the Final Four and National Championship games this upcoming weekend.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment