Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Making a Bracket and Sticking to It!

Yesterday, I decided (obviously) to fill out a bracket for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. I did. I filled out two on ESPN.com and two on Facebook...(.com). I was content. A few brackets, but I really only had one true bracket, like most people do, right? But then, I made the mistake of not turning off the internet on my phone last night. So, I paid the $0.70 for the day's usage. Why waste it?

I started off by reading and ignoring the internet. I was going to bypass it for awhile and wait until it got later at night to check Facebook(.com) and my email. I read for a good three hours, and then I thought What the heck?! I'll just check it really quick. Really quick, huh?! I'm still on it... In the midst of my internet haze, I filled out five more brackets on ESPN.com and one more on Facebook(.com). What could all of this be?! This is blasphemous. I know I have the availability of making 13 brackets using both websites, but I think I was just creating brackets just for the sake of covering all possibilities. It's kind of cheating, and we all know it. Stick to one. (For the people in my bracket pool. Yes. I know. I have two, but that's because I accidentally created the pool with the one I didn't want to use. #4 is the real one!) phew...had to clear that up. Well, I thought I was losing touch with the physical world. Normally, I would have printed out a bracket, started to fill it out in pencil, and then eventually finalize it with ink. So, I did just (kinda) that. I got out my notebook and by hand, made my own bracket and filled it out. This is my one bracket. It's something I can physically hold, and that's something not to lose mind of. It's something I will have to remember when I move back to the United States and have things at the whim of the electronic world.

1st Round Upsets:

East
(9)Villanova over (8)George Mason
Southwest
(9)Illinois over (8) UNLV
(12) Richmond over (5) Vanderbilt
(11*) USC over (6) Georgetown
(10) Florida St. over (7) Texas A&M
West
(9) Tennessee over (8) Michigan
(13) Oakland over (4) Texas (50/50)
Southeast
(9) Old Dominion over (8) Butler
(13) Belmont over (4) Wisconsin (I might have said it the other way had you not lost 33-36 to Penn St.)

*USC still has to play a game in the 1st round

My thoughts: I know I have a lot of upsets for the first round. But really, this year, anything from a 4 seed to a 13 seed is basically in the same pool. The only teams that appear consistent are 1-3 seeds(and that's a maybe on the 3 seeds) and 14-16 seeds. I also just noticed that I give no love to the 8 seeds.

Anyhow, the point of all of this is that I think I apprear disillusioned by the internet, hoping that through its capacity, it will offer me something new after I've exhausted all of it usefulness to me (which usually happens in the span of about 30 min). I'm still on the internet. I'm going to go read.

Hope all is well, and
Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment