Disclaimer

This website reflects my own personal views and not that of the U.S. Government nor, more specifically, the Peace Corps.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Relaxation in Cambodia is Coffee/Tea a Hammock and a Chess Board

So, I've been trying to think of more interesting aspects of Cambodian culture that I just pass over lightly (often because I'm taking part in them). And, of course, it came to me. What do Cambodians do more often than not? Nothing.

So, in Peace Corps, there is what is called the PACA Manual. I can't remember what it stands for but the words "Assessment" and "Community" are probably one of those "A"s and the "C". In it, part of the "Community Assessment" is to see what your community schedule looks like. "Hammock time" ranked amongst the most highly involved in and participated activities in the community. So, more often than not, you'll see some Cambodian men drinking their iced or hot coffee playing a game of "chess" that I can't quite comprehend. The pieces don't all move the same, and the rules are slightly different. To be honest, I don't like it! I'm very conservative when it comes to that game. Or, you might find some men and/or women drinking hot or iced tea just relaxing and chatting/sleeping away in a hammock somewhere.

In Cambodia, doing much of nothing really is integrating. It's nice.

Talk to you soon,
Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment